Friday, May 7, 2010

Sailing


"Sailing"
Watercolor

I love painting birds and butterflies, but sometimes I need a change of pace. I guess I wanted to try a more realistic piece here. The reflections always challenging, the horizon line a bit uneven. Even looks like shark fins to the left though they are the rudders from the motors in reality. The boys don't look too concerned, do they?

All in all, though, I had fun. It's on a small piece of watercolor paper, maybe 3" x 6" or so. I asked the photographer who took the image whether the blue in the sail was the ocean coming through or was it the sail color. He said it was the ocean as he saw waves. I thought "oh well" after I had already painted it as the sail canvas. Tried to keep the sail color a bit different from the water background to distinguish it. The little folk have an impressionistic feel about them as I've read we don't always have to put in every little detail. My husband, after seeing this creation, thought it was a little too realistic. He's used to my fantasy pieces where I put in every color of the rainbow, no matter what. Oh well, as I said earlier here, a change of pace needed!

I'm reading "Gifts from the Sea" with an on-line artist way group. So yes, there are many gifts from the sea.Not just the shells and stones that come washed up on shore. This sailboat, to me, is a gift. To float on water, how heavenly is that?

Why am I suddenly longing for a road trip to Chicago and Lake Michigan to see the boats? May have to fulfill that desire!

1 comment:

Doris said...

What a very nice direction! And I can't wait to see the boat pictures from when you take your trip!